Last Sunday I went in Köln. It's a nice city to visit, but I'm happy that I'm staying in Düsseldorf. The Dom is really beautiful, though the outside could use a good scrubbing. I walked up to the top of one of the towers. When I got to the top I was a heart attack waiting to happen -- and dizzy too. After that I wandered around the city. No chance of getting lost in Köln, you can just about always see the cathedral, and the Hauptbahnhof is right next to it. I found three other Romanesque churches, but they were closed as it was Sunday and people inside didn't really want spectators. Right next door to one of the churches was a festival. Lots of tasty looking food, a nice playground for the kiddies, a brass band which played mostly american songs -- crazy Germans and their love of american musik, and of course Kölsh, the patron Bier of Köln. Es schmekt mir ziemlich gut. Although Altbier, the patron Bier of Düsseldorf schmekt besser. While there, I spoke with an older fellow, who was originally from Österreich. We drank bier and spoke for about an hour. Then I wandered about a little more before returning home, where my Schlösser Alt was waiting for me.
Friday, May 23, 2008
Köln
Last Sunday I went in Köln. It's a nice city to visit, but I'm happy that I'm staying in Düsseldorf. The Dom is really beautiful, though the outside could use a good scrubbing. I walked up to the top of one of the towers. When I got to the top I was a heart attack waiting to happen -- and dizzy too. After that I wandered around the city. No chance of getting lost in Köln, you can just about always see the cathedral, and the Hauptbahnhof is right next to it. I found three other Romanesque churches, but they were closed as it was Sunday and people inside didn't really want spectators. Right next door to one of the churches was a festival. Lots of tasty looking food, a nice playground for the kiddies, a brass band which played mostly american songs -- crazy Germans and their love of american musik, and of course Kölsh, the patron Bier of Köln. Es schmekt mir ziemlich gut. Although Altbier, the patron Bier of Düsseldorf schmekt besser. While there, I spoke with an older fellow, who was originally from Österreich. We drank bier and spoke for about an hour. Then I wandered about a little more before returning home, where my Schlösser Alt was waiting for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Sweetie!
If you thought you were a heart attack waiting to happen in Köln...just wait till you get to Mont St. Michel! Now THERE's some climbing for you! So glad to see you back on your blog! Throw another blog on the fire...rustle up some bacon and some beans... do-do-do-doo!
As you can see, we're all making free with your blog page...missing you!
I love it... "another blog on the fire", that's great! I'm so glad you posted again, it's great to hear about what you've been up to and the pics are great. Keep it coming, I don't want to have to translate more Abba lyrics. Sheesh!
And don't feel bad about the coronary-like feelings you had at the Dom in Köln. I've been up that very same church spire and frankly, got a bit woozy myself. Crazy Germans and their spiral stone staircases!
Post a Comment