Monday, 30. Juni, I started a Japanese class (日本学) in the Volkhochschule. Oh my goodness but it's hard. First of all, it's a summerschool class, so it's four months crammed into one. Second, I knew 3 japanese words before I started. Now I'm proud to say, I know four. Third, everyone else seems to have a reason for needing to learn japanese -- which means they already know some. Fourth the characters are totally foreign, I sound like a retarded first grader sounding out each word when I read. To make things worse, they use three "alphabets:" hiragana, katakana, and kanji; and freely mix them all up in the same sentence. Crazy Japanese. Oh, and lastly, the book and lectures are all in german. I'm actually delighted when we get to speak german in the class.
Sunday, 29. Juni, I moved into a new Wohnung. This one has the internet on all night, yay, but the access point is still 3 floors up so I get terrible reception and often lose the link. Still, the new landlady is very nice. Today we had coffee and treats in the Garten. My goodweather karma finally failed me on Wednessday and I got drenched. I think I'll have to buy a Regenschirm afterall. Scheiße.
P.S. If you see ??? here and there, it means that you don't have the east asian language pack loaded and can't see the pretty japanese characters that I worked all day on to learn to use. Still, it was easier than doing my homework. I can do that tomorrow. oh, that's now. Dopple Scheiße!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Learning Japanese in German... only you, my masochistic cousin, would attempt something like that. I get the pretty symbols showing up at the top of your post... so what do they say? Or do I have to figure it out myself (that would be so like you)? I'll give it a shot but seriously think about adding a link to a translation site o.k.? Good luck with the new class! It'll be tough, but you can do anything. You are that awesome!
At SDSU, my German teacher WAS Japanese...does that count?? I failed it of course. Crazy Japanese trying to speak German. I don't get the pretty symbols :(
I'm listening to Devo. They're coming to the Del Mar races on 8/30 and I think I'll go just because I can!! Are we not men? No as a matter of fact "we" are not. Luck to you you crazy American going to Germany to take a Japanese class!!
As best as I can discover: 日本学 translates to "Japanology" in English. (But then the same website also thought that those symbols were Mandarin, which is Chinese, so...)
Post a Comment